Saturday, 18 April 2015 23:05
The Brookline School Committee heard two very important presentations at their meeting on Thursday, April 9, 2015. The video of these presentations are available below:
Enrichment and Challenge Support (ECS) Program Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgPkStSf6Ic
Technology Plan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtXbtJrDM0c
Devotion Presentation to Board of Selectmen
Sunday, 12 April 2015 09:46
Click here to view the Devotion School renovation and addition project presentation, which will be made to the Board of Selectmen on Tuesday, April 14, 2015.
Elementary Classroom Consolidations
Sunday, 12 April 2015 09:35
The FY2016 no override budget includes consolidationsof five (5) elementary classes across the system. We have worked closely with Principals over the past month to identify these sections, focusing on enrollments (including the number of students with IEPs, those served through ELL, and students qualifying for free and reduced lunch), achievement data (including MCAS), and the classroom experience of teachers in the receiving grade level. After considering these factors, we have identified the following grade levels and schools for consolidation in the no override budget scenario:
Grade 4 @ Baker School (Grade 5 for 2015-2016) - the current enrollment of 74 students in four sections would be consolidated to three sections;
Grade 4 @ Devotion School (Grade 5 for 2015-2016) - the current enrollment of 76 students in four sections would be consolidated to three sections;
Grade 3 @ Heath School (Grade 4 for 2015-2016) - the current enrollment of 59 students in three sections would be consolidated to two sections;
Grade 7 @ Lawrence School (Grade 8 for 2015-2016) - the current enrollment of 55 students in three sections would be consolidated to two sections; and
Grade 2 @ Lincoln School (Grade 3 for 2015-2016) - the current enrollment of 81 students in four sections would be consolidated to three sections
We believe that it is necessary to identify these sections now so that Principals can begin the hiring process for positions that are open (under both budget scenarios) within their schools.
In addition, the no override spending plan includes the consolidation of five (5) positions at Brookline High School and the elimination of the Enrichment and Challenge Support (ECS) program. Dr. Allen (Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources) is working with Ms. Holman (Headmaster, Brookline High School) to identify the BHS consolidations, as well as with our ECS teachers on their possible assignments for the coming year.
Remember, the override spending plan does not include these consolidations and program changes.
Superintendent Report for Thursday, April 9, 2015
Friday, 10 April 2015 09:09
Click here to view my report to the School Committee for Thursday, April 9, 2015. This report includes important information on the elementary classroom consolidations that would take place under the no override budget proposal, as well as announcements regarding school leadership at both Devotion and Heath.
Advisory Committee Presentation
Thursday, 09 April 2015 10:50
Our annual program meeting with the Advisory Committee took place on Monday, April 6, 2015. Topics focused on our enrollment growth, the efficiencies and fee increases implemented by the school department since 2006, and our technology plan. Click here for the slides used during this presentation and here for handouts distributed to Committee members. Our thanks to the Advisory Committee for a terrific conversation.
Alan November Community Event
Tuesday, 07 April 2015 19:47
We are very pleased to announce that Alan November will speak to the Brookline community on Tuesday, April 28, 2015. His presentation on "Who Owns the Learning: Preparing Students for Success in the Digital Age" will be held at the Pierce School Auditorium from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. This important event is sponsored by the Brookline Education Foundation. Access the event flyer here.
Heath School Leadership
Tuesday, 07 April 2015 10:54
Carrie Wilson, who has served as Principal at Heath School for the past four (4) years, recently informed me that she is resigning from that position, effective at the end of the current school year. I want to thank Carrie for her tremendous work with staff and on behalf of families and students at Heath. We wish her only the best in her future endeavors
We have explored a number of school leadership options during the past weeks, including discussing a search process with at least two consultant firms and considering options involving certain of our current Vice Principals and Coordinators for both short and long-term roles at Heath. I am very please to announce that Annie Sevelius, who currently serves as Vice Principal at Heath School, will become Interim Principal for the 2015-2016 school year. Please click here to view my letter to the community announcing this appointment.
Devotion School Leadership
Wednesday, 01 April 2015 20:42
We have spent the past months exploring a number of school leadership options for Devotion School. Please click here to view my letter to the community confirming the appointment of Jennifer Buller, Dave O'Hara and Monica Crowley to lead the school for the coming years during the renovation and addition project.
More Public Forums
Tuesday, 31 March 2015 15:46
Two Superintendent Forums were held during the week of March 23, 2015. Videos of these meeting are available below.
SEPAC Forum (Tuesday, March 24, 2015): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3yBSa-Wqd4
Heath School (Wednesday, March 25, 2015): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRRfKhfVpfw
In addition, our FY2016 Budget Forum at Baker School, which was held on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 can be accessed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8TUhrZ6W3A&feature=youtu.be
Superintendent Report for Thursday, March 26, 2015
Friday, 27 March 2015 08:46
Click here to view my report to the School Committee for Thursday, March 26, 2015. This report includes information on kindergarten registration, the use of our community and staff surveys, Principal searches, staff recognitions and important student programs.
Recent Public Forums
Saturday, 21 March 2015 23:20
Three (3) Superintendent Forums were held during the week of March 16, 2015. A video of each meeting is available through the links below.
Lawrence School - Monday, March 16, 2015 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LssIt6rGzHU)
Runkle School - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM030DWjLN4)
Early Education - Thursday, March 19, 2015 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfB-dVDxzEw)
In addition, Mr. Rowe and I held an FY2016 Budget Forum at Brookline Interactive Group (BIG) studios on Tuesday, March 17, 2015 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wg-Oqi0-ss).
Staff and Community Survey Results
Friday, 20 March 2015 07:48
School-based results of our recent staff and community surveys are now available through the links below.
It is important to remember that these results represent baseline data that schools will use to measure future growth and performance. We are committed to the premise that these surveys represent one component among multiple indicators of how a school is performing and that they are to be used for school and system improvement.
Specifically, Principals will use these reports in discussions with their staf, as well as with their School Councils in creating School Improvement Plans. In addition, our Senior Staff will be discussing the overall system results, as well as identifying key areas for further study and goal setting.
Two important pieces of information about these reports:
- Responses to six (6) questions that address Principal performance are not included in the public reports. The Superintendent and Principal will use the data generated from these items in supervisory discussions as one aspect of a Principal's evaluation by the Superintendent.
- Similarly, comments are not included in the public reports. Actionable comments have been summarized and provided to the Principal and Superintendent, as well as to others (e.g., curriculum coordinators), where appropriate.
I want to thank each of our parents and staff members who took the time to complete the survey and to emphasize how important these data are to our overall improvement efforts.
Baker School Report
Brookline High School Report
Devotion School Report
Driscoll School Report
Early Education Report
Heath School Report
Lawrence School Report
Lincoln School Report
Pierce School Report
Runkle School Report
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, March 12, 2015
- FY2016 Superintendent's Budget Message
- FY2016 Budget Preview
- Superintendent Report for Monday, February 23, 2015
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, February 12, 2015
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, February 5, 2015
- School Committee FY2016 Budget Guidelines and Priorities
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, January 22, 2015
- Override and Debt Exclusion Public Hearings
- Deputy Superintendent for Administration and Finance
- Devotion at Old Lincoln School
- Selectmen's Override Schedule
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, January 8, 2015
- PSB Family Feedback Survey
- "No Override" Scenario
- 2015-2016 School Calendar
- Override Study by Board of Selectmen
- Driscoll School Statement of Interest (SOI)
- Short-Term Space Recommendations (FY2016 through FY2020)
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, December 18, 2014
- MSAN Student Conference
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, December 4, 2014
- School Cancellation and Delayed Openings
- Gifts to Staff Members
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, November 13, 2014
- Override Scenarios
- Short-Term Space Options (FY2016-FY2020)
- FY2015 Hiring Profile
- Superintendent Report for Tuesday, October 14, 2014
- Presentation to the Board of Selectmen (10-7-2014)
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, October 2, 2014
- Pilot Parent and Staff Survey
- Devotion School Education Plan
- School Committee Opts for MCAS in 2015
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, September 18, 2014
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, September 4, 2014
- Devotion School Vice Principal
- Vice Principal - Pierce School
- Early Education Program Coordinator
- Coordinator of School Health Services
- Interim Devotion School Principal
- Superintendent Report for Thursday, June 5, 2014
- Superintendent Report for May 22, 2014
- Brookline Teacher Honored by New England Association of Woodworking Teachers
- Superintendent Report for May 8, 2014
- Former Governor Michael Dukakis Attends Lawrence School Earth Day
- Andrew Bott Named Next Principal of Lincoln School
- Local Artist Donates Sculpture to Lawrence School
- Superintendent's Report for April 10, 2014
Page 1 of 17