Our Mission: We aim to provide healthy, tasty, high-quality, affordable meals to the students and staff of the Brookline Public Schools.
Our Service: We serve breakfast and lunch at all nine schools in the district:
Brookline High School, Baker, Devotion, Driscoll, Heath, Lawrence, Lincoln, Pierce, and Runkle (at Old Lincoln for 2010-2012). We cook food on site in the kitchens of all nine schools. We also serve lunch at St. Mary’s School as a satellite operation from Pierce.
Our Food: As part of the National School Breakfast and Lunch Program, we follow guidelines set by the USDA; regulating what qualifies as a healthy breakfast and lunch. We cook meals from scratch, using real food, and we are continually looking for ways to improve our school meals. Our recent accomplishments include:
• We work to invent new menu items and engage children in healthy eating.
• We aim to purchase as much of our produce and products from local sources.
• We serve hamburgers made from all-natural (hormone-free, antibiotic-free) beef sourced locally from New England farms. The names of the farms that supply our hamburger beef are posted on our website, weekly.
• All of our meat is free of ammonia treatments and finely textured lean beef.
• We serve milk that is hormone-free. We serve non-fat and 1% unflavored milk in the K-8 schools.
• At least 90% of the bread and grains (pasta, rice, etc) that we serve are whole grain.
• Our Home Style Pizza made in all K-8 schools is made with whole wheat crust.
• All of the food we serve is trans fat free.
• We no longer purchase styrofoam. Cafeterias without dishwashers use biodegradable trays.
• Vegetarian options are offered daily and as our main entree in all K-8 schools at least once a week.
• Fresh fruit and vegetables are served daily.
• The High School serves only fresh vegetables.
• We feature Unique Sushi and b.good hamburgers, veggie burgers & chicken sandwiches at Brookline High School.
• We feature Crazy Dough’s whole wheat pizza at Brookline High School and Gill's whole wheat pizza at the K-8 schools. Gluten-free pizza is available upon request.
• We feature locally made whole wheat Finagle-a-Bagel bagels.
• All of the a-la-carte items sold in Brookline school cafeterias and vending machines meet the Massachusetts A-La-Carte Food & Beverage Standards to Promote a Healthier School Environment.
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or
(3) email: email@example.com.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
Department of Food Services
Mailing Address:333 Washington StreetBrookline, MA 02445Tel: 617-730-2415Fax: 617-264-6435Walk-in:24 Webster Place
Kitchen ManagersBHS: Mrs. Hatzieleftheriadis617-713-5115Baker: Mrs. Foote617-879-4511Upper Devotion: Mrs. Paula617-879-4947Devotion: Mrs. Crossley617-879-4429Driscoll: Mrs. Gojak617-879-4266Heath: Mrs. Petroski617-879-4550Lawrence: Mrs. Feltz617-879-4310Lincoln: Mr. Foote617-879-4610Pierce: Mr. Velky617-730-2488Runkle: Mrs. Kantardzic617-879-4679