Coolidge Corner School Principal's Blog
What's Buzzing at the Hive #3Posted by Jennifer Buller on 10/14/2019 6:00:00 PM
Hello Coolidge Corner School Families and Friends,
We hope that everyone is enjoying the long weekend and finding some time to slow down and reconnect. We have had a few short weeks in a row and are looking forward to settling into our routines and expectations over the next few full weeks.
The next two weeks are pretty busy here at the hive and we hope to see many of you at the various events we have on the horizon! Below you will find some reminders and additional information about:
- After school supervision in and out of the building
- Safe crossing behaviors for our friends walking to and from school
- Kindergarten Independence Day
- School Picture Day
- Costume/Gear Swap
- CCS Halloween Bash
- CCS Garden Party
- Renaming Events
- CCS School Council and PTO Coffee and Conversation
After school supervision in/out of the building
We wanted to remind everyone that there is no school based staff outside for supervision after school hours. We expect our students to follow the same expectations after school hours as they do during the school day including embodying our school motto, “Work Hard, Be Kind, Help Others.” Below are some general guidelines to help ensure that everyone is safe and enjoys themselves after school.
- Walk Your Wheels
- bikes/scooters should be walked around the paved circle surrounding the middle play structure.
- General CCS Playground Expectations
- Rain Garden: During the school day we do not allow students to climb on the rocks in the rain garden. These rocks can become very slippery in the rain and snow. Rocks should stay inside the rain garden and should not be moved around the playground. The wooden walkway through the rain garden was built for community members to use to explore the area.
- Slides: At CCS, during the school day we follow the guideline that slides are for sliding down. This helps keep everyone playing on the slide safe. There are many other structures that are designed and installed for climbing.
- Tag on the structures: At recess we encourage students to use the fields and blacktop for playing tag. Playing tag on the structures often results in students exhibiting unsafe behaviors (such as jumping from high spaces to avoid being tagged) or running into other students who aren’t expecting a tag game to be occurring and are just interested in climbing and using the structures as designed.
- (rock garden, slides, climbing, tag on the structures)
- Synthetic Field Care
- There should be NO WHEELS on the synthetic field at any time. This includes bicycles and scooters. Please use the paved paths around the field.
- There should be NO FOOD on the synthetic field at any time. This includes drinks other than water as well.
- Taking care of our synthetic field collectively will help ensure we have it for many years to come.
- Supervision after school
- As a reminder students in grades K-2 should have adult supervision on the playground after school hours.
- Students who consistently are exhibiting unsafe or unkind behaviors after school may meet with the principal or vice principal to review community expectations. It is possible that families may be asked to supervise students who are struggling to meet these expectations independently.
Safe Crossing Behaviors
There is a lot of construction on the streets around our school building right now. Please remind your students who may be walking to and from school about safe crossing behaviors including:
- Waiting for the WALK light to illuminate before beginning to cross
- Listening to the crossing guards instructions
- Double checking traffic in both directions before beginning crossing
- Crossing in groups when possible
Kindergarten Independance Day 10/21
Kindergarten Independence Day is quickly approaching! Starting Monday, October 21, all K students will be dropped off and greeted by administrators at the cafeteria, Stedman Street and main entrance. Once they have said goodbye to their grown-ups they will receive a sticker or a stamp from the administrator at the door and then they'll walk up to the classroom, just the way the "big" kids do here at CCS! We look forward to celebrating this big day of independence with your Kindergartener!
Each Kindergarten family will receive an email from their child’s classroom teacher that includes a social story that teachers will preview with students during the school day. For Kindergarten families, it might be helpful to look it over with your child before sending them in on Monday morning. If you find your child is ready to walk up independently, before October 21, please feel free to send them up! Many Kindergarteners have already taken on this task with great success!
If you have any questions or concerns after reading the attached social story, please feel free to reach out to your child’s classroom teacher.
School Photo Day 10/17
Thursday October 17th is our school photo day. Families will receive information about how to order prints from Coffee Pond from their child’s classroom/homeroom teacher.
Costume/Gear Swap 10/17
On Thursday October 17th beginning at 6:00p CCS will be hosting a costume and gear swap for families in the cafeteria and small gym. We hope to have many families participate in this event. I know I’ve got a lot of hockey gear that would love to find a home with some of our younger skaters!
CCS Halloween Bash 10/25
All CCS students and their families are invited! Live DJ, face painting and crafts, costume contest & pizza for purchase. Advance tickets: $10 first child; $5 each additional child. At the door: $15 first child; $5 each additional child. Parents Free! Tickets can be purchased online here: https://coolidgecornerpto.membershiptoolkit.com/form/m/99139
Fall Garden Party 10/25
Friends of the CCS Garden invite gardeners of all ages to our annual fall event at 1:45p in the Garden! Meet fellow parents and students, talk with teachers, draw, taste, weed, plant, and water! Questions? Please email Lisa Ting (email@example.com) or Lucy Chie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
CCS Renaming Events
This week there are two renaming events.
- Wednesday October 16th 7:00p
- Brookline Town Naming Committee Public Hearing
- Coolidge Corner School Multipurpose Room
- Thursday October 17th 6:00p
- School Committee Meeting
- Town Hall, 5th Floor
- The hearing/possible vote on all three warrant articles related to the renaming of CCS begins at approximately 7:15p
CCS School Council and PTO Coffee and Conversation: October 23rd CCS Library
- School Council Meeting begins at 6:00p
- PTO Coffee and Conversation begins at 7:00p
- PTO Annual Budget
- Jen Buller presents on supporting a positive culture at CCS (“Thriving at the Hive”)
- Topics include: an overview of what thriving in the community means to us, Code of Conduct, Scheduling Shifts, CCS work with Jess Minahan, monitoring progress and effectiveness
We sure are busy here at the Hive! It’s been so great to connect informally with families who have been sharing ways that they are engaging with our community and have taken to heart the message shared at our Open House events. As you think about which events you will attend over the next few weeks, or ways you will get involved with your child’s classroom or grade level, keep in mind our overarching question for the school year: “What gifts will you share with our community this year?”
See you around the Hive!
Hive Pride Day and PTO Coffee and Conversation ReminderPosted by Jennifer Buller on 10/3/2019 9:00:00 PM
Hello Coolidge Corner School Families and Friends,
A quick reminder that tomorrow, Friday October 4th is HIVE PRIDE DAY and a PTO COFFEE AND CONVERSATION at 8:00a in the CCS Cafeteria.
Hive Pride Day
Tomorrow, October 4th is our first Hive Pride Day of the new school year. The first Friday of each month is Hive Pride Day, when we celebrate all the hard work, acts of kindness and compassion in the community, and the positive contributions of our students, staff, and families at CCS. To help us celebrate and connect as a community we encourage students and staff to wear their Work Hard, Be Kind, Help Others t-shirts and/or dress in black and yellow (our school colors).
PTO Coffee and Conversation
Tomorrow, Friday October 4th, at 8:00a in the CCS cafeteria we will be hosting our October PTO Coffee and Conversation. Below is the agenda for the meeting:
- Jennifer Condensa-Garcia, PTO treasurer, will present the PTO Annual Budget
- Learn more about where fundraised dollars come from and what they are spent on throughout the school year
- I will present information about Thriving at the Hive
- Learn more about what work is being done in and around CCS to ensure that all students are thriving at school
- I will review the Code of Conduct and Scheduling Shifts and how both support our students and work here at CCS.
As a reminder this PTO Coffee and Conversation will be repeated on Wednesday October 23rd at 7:00p and will be preceded by our first School Council Meeting at 6:00p. Both meetings on October 23rd will take place in the CCS library.
We can’t wait to see everyone tomorrow sharing in their pride for our school and celebration all of their hard work, acts of kindness, and helpfulness in our community.