Parent Presentation: "The Truth about Vaping"
PSB will be holding a presentation on "The Truth about Vaping" for parents on Monday, October 28 at 7:00 p.m. in the Brookline High School auditorium. Led by our guidance department and the Caron Treatment Centers’ Education Alliance, this presentation provides information on vaping and e‐cigarettes for parents/community members in Brookline. Middle and high school parents are strongly encouraged to attend. This program is intended for an adult audience.
"Vaping” is a term introduced by the electronic nicotine delivery system (ENDS) industry to refer to any electronic vaporizer, also known as E‐cigs, vapes, vape pens, and E‐hookahs. Though originally designed as harm reduction products for cigarette smokers, they have recently morphed into a trend that is becoming increasingly popular with youth. This rise in use is of concern for health professionals, educators, and parents, in part because of the common misconception that these products are harmless and because long‐term consequences are still not known.
“The Truth About Vaping” is a program designed for parents and caregivers of children in middle and high school. The program is facilitated by professionals in the field of addiction treatment and has the following objectives:
- Provide information on the effects and consequences of electronic vaping products
- Empower parents with effective communication skills when talking with their children
about these products
- Review the importance of establishing clear rules and consequences at home regarding
- Evaluate resiliency factors that help protect kids from substance use
- Provide local resources should parents require addiction support