Summer Reading Lists
All titles available at the Brookline Booksmith. Shop local!
Incoming 3rd Grade:
- Tornado by Betsy Byars
Incoming 4th Grade:
Students may choose to read any one of the Who was… or Who is... biographies. Don’t know these books? Check them out here: www.whowasbookseries.com
Incoming 5th Grade:
Choose at least one book to read out of these choices:
· Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein
· 11 Birthdays by Wendy Mass
· The One and Only Ivan by K.A. Applegate
· Travel Team by Mike Lupica
Incoming 6th and 7th Grade:
Heath School rising 6th and 7th graders will read two books, following author Gene Yang’s READING WITHOUT WALLS CHALLENGE. This challenge prompts students to broaden their understanding of themselves and the world around them:
1. Read a book about a character who doesn’t look like you or live like you.
2. Read a book about a topic you don’t know much about.
3. Read a book in a format that you don’t normally read for fun. This might be a chapter book, a graphic novel, a book in verse, a picture book, or a hybrid book.
Here’s a link to a podcast with Gene Yang about his challenge.: http://geneyang.com/reading-without-walls-video-podcast
Students will find many choices on the Public Schools of Brookline Summer Reading List that will meet these challenge criteria. Here’s a link to the Public Schools of Brookline Summer Reading List: http://brooklinesummerreading.weebly.com/
By Tuesday, June 20, students must commit to their book choices. They will read these books and as many others as possible! In the fall, they will submit their Reading Log to Ms. Carney and share with classmates what they read.
Also for incoming 7th Grade Students:
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma (Young Reader’s Edition) by Michael Pollan
Incoming 8th Grade:
- It's Getting Hot in Here: The Past, Present and Future of Climate Change by Bridget Heos
- Port Chicago 50 by Steve Sheinkin
- Two additional “student’s choice” books (from separate genres)