November 13, 2017
Hello Lawrence Families + Caregivers!
I hope this email finds you well. I have been out and about and seeing lots of good teaching and learning happening at Lawrence – for staff and students.
- Our 7th graders experienced Farm School last week.
- Our School Council met last Tuesday to begin unpacking our wonderings and ideas for this year’s school improvement plan.
- Faculty Meeting was led by teachers last Tuesday and during that time we also were working on our school improvement plan.
- The Japanese Food Fair is in the works and is happening this Thursday - Can't wait to see it in action - I have heard so much about this day - Check out the bulletin board in the entryway which highlights this event!
- Last Friday, all PSB staff participated in a professional development day, where we listened to a morning keynote from Jamie Almanzan, entitled, “Using Listening to Interrupt Implicit Bias.” Followed by breakout sessions and then an afternoon address from Professor Phil Lee, entitled “A Critical Race Theory Analysis of Educational Inequality in America.”
- Last Thursday, November 9, term 1 closed for our middle school students. Report cards will be published to the family portal on Tuesday, November 21.
- Our Spanish teacher, Profe. Kern is organizing our school-based partnership with the ADL (anti-defamation league) to bring their World of Difference Peer Training Program to Lawrence. Our partnership with the ADL is one way that the Public Schools of Brookline supports students as they build and practice the leadership skills needed to be upstanders in our schools, our community, and our society. We are seeking 12-16 students in grades 7 + 8 who will participate in 4 days of training at Wheelock College and serve as peer leaders at Lawrence. Applications for the program will be shared today after our morning assembly for students. Questions? Contact email@example.com
- November 21 is picture retake day!
- This week begins our fall season of early release days for conferences.
- Grades K-6 will be released at 12:40 on Tuesday, November 14 – TOMORROW!!
- Grades K-8 will be released at 12:40 on Wednesday, November 29.
- Grades K-8 will be released at 12:40 on Tuesday, December 5.
- Grades K-12 will be released at 12:40 on Wednesday, December 13.
Be well, do good, keep in touch.
P.S. – Check out the attached letter from Alli Javors, our 6-8 guidance counselor!