Pre-Registration begins with an online application and should be completed only by those families who meet the Residency Requirements.  If you are a visitor, please review "Visitors and Public School Enrollment".  

Pre-Registration must be completed by parent or legal guardian - in person and by appointment.  
Appointments are available to book approximately one month prior to the date of the desired meeting.

Enrollment Requirements 

  •  You must be a full-time resident of Brookline in order to attend the Public Schools of Brookline. 
    •  If you are in the process of moving to Brookline, you may begin the pre-registration process.  However, your child may not begin school until you are residing in Brookline.  You must be residing in Brookline at the time of your pre-registration appointment.

  • Enter in all requested demographic data as requested by our application questionnaire.  Please allow yourself ample time to complete the application questionnaire.  We recommend using a non-mobile device to complete this task if possible, as it is easier with access to a keyboard.
  • You must make an appointment after you enter all of your student's information. 
  • At your appointment, please bring all requested original documents and additional registration forms (available at right) and a valid photo ID.
  • Pre-Registration does not indicate enrollment in the Public Schools of Brookline.
If you fulfill all our requirements for enrollment, please use the "Pre-Registration" link below.*

*Please note: Registration Gateway is only supported on OSX 10.7 and higher (10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11). 

Enter the Registration Gateway by Clicking the Blue Button Below

Please use the links below to navigate our information regarding the Pre-Registration Process

Steps To Registration

Pre Registration Flow Chart

How To Pre-Register

1. Meet our Residency Requirements.

   o   Your residency documents must indicate you are living in Brookline at the time of pre-registration. 

   o   For new owners, you must close on your home purchase (we cannot accept a purchase and sale agreement)

   o   For new renters, the lease must start prior to your pre-registration appointment (i.e. lease begins August 1, pre-registration must be August 1 or later)

2. Complete the enrollment application 

   o   The application is online, and available through the link at the top of this page using the blue “Pre-Register” button

   o   Please create a username and password and complete all required questions in the application. Please allow yourself ample time to complete the application questionnaire.  We recommend using a non-mobile device to complete this task if possible, as it is easier with access to a keyboard

3. You must make an appointment with the Office of Student Affairs through the enrollment application

   o   It is the final step in the application – click “Continue” when you reach the end and can see the checklist of documents to access our appointment calendar

   o   Appointments are available approximately one month ahead of the current date (ie, if you want an appointment for August 25, it will not be available until approximately July 25)


If you are unable to read and answer the pre-registration questions in English, please call Colleen McGowan at 617-264-6412 to learn about resources that may be able to assist you. 

إذا كنت غير قادر على القراءة والإجابة على اسئلة  التسجيل المسبق باللغة الإنجليزية، يرجى الاتصال بالسيده كولين مكجوان على رقم الهاتف ٦١٧٢٦٤٦٤١٢ لمعرفة المزيد عن الموارد التي قد تكون قادرة على مساعدتك

Colleen McGowan at 617-264-6412

如果您在为孩子注册时,不能阅读或者回答英文问题,请打电话给Colleen McGowan,她的电话是617-264-6412,她可以向您提供更多资源帮助您

Si vous ne pouvez pas lire et répondre aux questions de pré-inscription en anglais, vous êtes priés de contacter Colleen McGowan au 617-264-6412 pour obtenir des renseignements sur les ressources disponibles pour vous aider.

אם אין באפשרותכם לקרוא או לענות על שאלון טרום-הרישום באנגלית, אנא התקשרו ל- Colleen McGowan במספר 617-264-6412 לקבלת עזרה.

事前登録の質問を英語で読み、答えることが難しい場合は、その手助けとなる情報を差し上げますので、Colleen McGowan (コリーン・マクガワン)電話番号617-264-6412 までご連絡下さい。

가등록 하실 나오는 영어를 읽고 질문에 대답할 없으시면, 저희가 학부모님들께 언어적 지원이나 도움을 제공해 드릴 있으니, 담당자인 콜린 맥고윈(Colleen McGowan)에게617-264-6412 전화하여 알려주시기 바랍니다.

Caso não compreender e/ou responder as perguntas no preenchimento  da pré-matricula, feitas em inglês, por favor contacte a Sra. Collen McGowan pelo telefone (617) 264-6412 que poderá ajuda-lo(a) no processo.

Если Вы не можете прочитать и ответить на английском языке на вопросы предварительной регистрации, пожалуйста, позвоните Colleen McGowan (Колин МакГауан) по телефону 617-264-6412, чтобы узнать о ресурсах, которые могут Вам помочь.

Si Ud. no puede leer ni contestar las preguntas de pre-inscripción en inglés, por favor, llame a Colleen McGowan a 617-264-6412 para aprender sobre recursos que le podrían ayudar.

 3. Collect all required bring to your appointment.  We will make copies of any originals you bring and return the original to you

   o   Please see the checklist to the right of this page, and also access a downloadable checklist

   o   All translations must be completed by a translation agency or authorized translator, not by parent or guardian  

   o   If your proofs of occupancy are electronic, please print your e-bill/statement and bring it to your appointment

   o   Please find the list of required immunizations here:


   o   Previous school records

o   Not required for incoming Pre-School or Kindergarten Students

o   Grades 1-8 may present the most recent progress report/report card to prove grade level for enrollment

o   Students registering for Grade 9 are required to bring copies of their 7th and 8th grade transcripts that show promotion

o   Students registering for Grade 10 are required to bring copies of their 8th and 9thgrade transcripts

o   Students registering for Grade 11 are required to bring copies of their 9th and 10thgrade transcripts

o   Students registering for Grade 12 are required to bring copies of their 9th, 10th, and 11th grade transcripts


4. Complete your pre-registration appointment with the Office of Student Affairs at scheduled time.  You must have ALL required documents to proceed to the next step

   o   If your child requires an English Language Assessment, we will schedule that appointment for your family.

5. All students will attend a meeting with the guidance counselor (and nurse as needed) at the student’s assigned school

   o   The Office of Student Affairs (and in some cases the English Language Learning Department) will arrange guidance counselor appointments for your family

6. Every student must have all required immunizations completed prior to beginning school.  The school nurse must review and clear each student.  Missing immunizations may delay school enrollment start date


School Assignment Process, K-8

Students are assigned to school in Brookline primarily based on the geographic location of their homes. Many addresses in Brookline fall within buffer zones. If your home is in a buffer zone, the Office of Student Affairs will make an assignment for all of the students in the family to the school with the lower enrollment at the grade level(s) the students are entering. You are welcome to request a preference. We will try very hard to accommodate your preference however this is not guaranteed. For more information on Buffer Zones, see section below on Buffer Zones.
To see which district your home is in, click here.  When searching, please to select the address without the zip code.  When reviewing the school district, make certain to look also for the School Buffer Zone. 
A student who is eligible for English Language Learning services may take advantage of  the ELL Language Programs (Korean, Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, and Russian).  If the ELL Program is located at a school outside his/her home district, the student may be placed there. For more information about our ELL program, click here.

Buffer Zones Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is a buffer zone?
A. A buffer zone is an area surrounding a neighborhood school district that serves two or more schools. All of the elementary schools in Brookline have buffer zone streets in their district. Buffer zones are designed to keep class sizes small by allowing the Office of Student Affairs the discretion to assign students to any of the schools in their buffer zone. Class size, whether or not there are siblings and family preference, are all considered when making a school assignment.
Q. Can I state a preference?
A. Yes, families are welcome to state a preference as to which school they would like their child assigned.  The Office of Student Affairs makes every effort to honor those requests, however, the enrollment at each buffer school for the grade that your child is entering plays an important part in the final decision.
Q. When is a decision made?  How will I be notified?
A. The timing of a placement decisions depends upon when you register:
  • Spring Kindergarten Registration for Fall enrollment:
If you pre-register your child for the incoming kindergarten class (beginning with the registrations days in February and continuing through April), the Office of Student Affairs will review the enrollments at each school and notify you of a school assignment during the first part of May either by phone, email or letter. If you register for the incoming kindergarten class during May, every effort will be made to make a placement before the kindergarten visiting days in early June. Buffer zone registrations made in June will receive a school assignment at the end of the Summer Registration period in mid-August.
  • New to the district mid-year:
If you move into Brookline after the school year has started, you should make an appointment the Office of Student Affairs using our registration tool, Registration Gateway.  You may state a school preference during your appointment. Decisions on placements are made close to the effective date of the lease or actual closing on a purchase of a home/condo. Advance decisions cannot be made because of fluctuations in enrollments. Siblings residing in a buffer zone are always assigned to the same school.  The Office of Student Affairs will notify you either by phone or email with a school placement and appropriate contact information for your assigned school.
  • New school year/new to the district:
If you move into Brookline during the summer, you should contact the Office of Student Affairs to begin the enrollment of your child(ren). You may state a school preference which will be reviewed, along with the enrollments, in mid-August. You will be notified of the school assignment by phone, email or letter in mid-August and directed to contact the Guidance Office at the appropriate school to make an appointment for the end of August. Guidance counselors return in late August to meet with all new families in their district prior to the opening of school.
Q. How will I be notified of a school assignment?
A. You will be contacted by the Office of Student Affairs either by phone, email or letter as outlined above.
Q. How can I find out if my home is in a buffer zone?
A. To determine whether or not you are in a buffer zone, visit our School Locator which will allow you to enter a street address. This will display the school information, as well as important details about your new neighborhood.  When searching, please to select the address without the zip code.  When reviewing the school district, make certain to look also for the School Buffer Zone.  If you are uncertain about and address, you can contact the Office of Student Affairs at 617-264-6492 or email

For your Pre-Registration Appointment

Documents to bring: 

  • Parent/Guardian Id
  • Original birth certificate (notarized translation into English)
  • Proofs of Residency
  • School records (notarized translation into English) - please see individual registration pages to left for specific requirements for each grade
  • Active IEP or 504 Plan, if applicable
  • Immunization records (notarized translation into English) 
  • Custody documents (notarized translation into English) if applicable

Required forms to print and bring:

Pre-Registration Checklist

For a printable checklist of all required documents and forms, click the image.

This document is available in Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Korean, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish.  Click the image of the translation to download.
Arabic Checklist  Chinese Checklist Hebrew Checklist Japanese Korean Checklist Portuguese Checklist
Site Map