English Language Learners
The English Language Learners (ELL) program provides services to more than 650 students in grades K-12 whose primary language is not English and who are not yet proficient in English. The program provides support at each school, with services focused on children’s English language acquisition, literacy development, and academic achievement.
In addition to the Program Director, Mindy Paulo, you can also contact the following members of the ELL staff with questions:
Colleen McGowan, ELL Program Assistant, 617-264-6412
Karen Richardson, ELL Enrollment and Assessment Specialist, 617-264-6431
Sejin Choi, ELL Family Advisor, Grades K-8, 617-264-6404
Betsy Davis, International Student Advisor, Grades 9-12, 617-713-5007
1. Continue development of Sheltered English curriculum materials.
2. Develop and implement progress reports for English language learners in grades K-5.
3. Write English performance indicators for various language domains across grade levels and content topics.
4. Monitor English Language Learners’ achievement on state and local assessments.
5. Increase family accessibility to school and district documents and events through effective translation and outreach procedures.
Mindy Paulo, English Language Learner (ELL) Program Director, has provided the following enrollment summary for school year 2014-2015:
- The total Limited English Proficiency (LEP) enrollment in grades K-12 increased by 23 students – 679 students in 2014-2015 compared with 656 students in 2013-2014
- ELLs represent 9.4% of the total district population
- 30 primary languages are represented in our ELL population (31in 2013-2014)
- Approximately 49% of ELLs, including kindergarten, are new to Brookline schools this year
- Following are our largest language groups (K-12): Chinese (154 students), Japanese (114 students), Hebrew (83 students), Korean (77 students), and Spanish (70 students)
- Our Chinese population grew by 39 students in 2014-2015, while the Korean language group declined by 24 students
- 283 students are enrolled in our K-8 Native Language Support Programs (Korean, Hebrew, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, and Russian)
- Enrollment percentages of ELLs at our schools are as follows: Lawrence (18.8%), Baker (14.9%), Lincoln (13.3%), Pierce (12.5%), Devotion (12.2%), Driscoll (7.2%), Runkle (6.8%), Heath (3.9%), and Brookline High School (2.9%)