Every year the school calendar is developed by the Superintendent in consultation with the School Committee and the Brookline Educators Union (BEU) and abides by provisions set forth in the collective bargaining agreement between both parties.
- Following guidance from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education the number of instructional days for students in the the 2020-2021 school year was reduced from 180 days to 170 days. This change allows for additional professional development days for educators to prepare for this unprecendented school year. The school calendar was, therefore, revised. Click below for the revised calendar, originally approved by the Brookline School Committee on 8/20/20.
- In December, 2020, the Brookline School Committee and the Brookline Educators Union reached agreement on an MOA for the pandemic period. The MOA includes agreement on teaching/learning models, work location and schedules, quarantine and sick leave, and other important items. The MOA also provides for two additional early release days each month for educators to receive and engage in professional development to successfully implement the hybrid/remote model. This additional time will allow educators to create high quality instruction, thereby enhancing the education for all stuednts. The updated calendar that includes these aditional early release days is available below:
In-Person Instructional Days: Grade 1-8 Cohort A and Cohort B, SY20-21
The district carefully reviewed the number of in-person instructional days for grade 1-8 Cohort A and Cohort B. In order to ensure an equitable number of in-person days for both cohorts, we have made the following changes to the schedule:
- Tuesday, February 9 Changed to Cohort B in-person day
- Tuesday, March 16 Changed to Cohort B in-person day
- Tuesday, June 22 Additional Cohort B in-person day
Click here for a summary of the Cohort A and Cohort B in-person instructional days.